Grandma Goodsell's Whole Wheat Bread

DSC_1570

 

So, my Grandma Goodsell is the one who instilled a love of bread making in me. I owe a lot to her guidance when I was a kid. We finally tracked down her recipe after we thought it was lost all those years ago, and I made it yesterday. I give it a 9, but that’s probably a lot of nostalgia. Either way, it is a very, very solid bread recipe. I put my changes below in bold.

Grandma Goodsell's Whole Wheat Bread

Mix 2 ½ T yeast and 1 T sugar in 1 C water, and let set for 10 minutes. I used instant yeast, so I decreased this to 5 tsp. of yeast

3 C milk

2 C water

½ C honey

½ C shortening

2 T salt

2 T molasses

5 ½ C whole wheat flour

7 ½ C white flour I also added 2 heaping spoonfuls of wheat gluten

Combine milk, honey, shortening, salt, and molasses in a saucepan and heat until shortening melts. Stir in 2 Cups cold water and combine with yeast mixture.

Pour mixture into mixing bowl and add flours one cup at a time alternating between white and wheat (1 C white, 1 C wheat, 1 C white, etc.)

Once mixed set aside and let rise 1 hour.

Punch dough down, divide into bread pans and let rise ½ hour. Bake 30-40 minutes at 325 degrees. Makes 5-6 loaves.

I let the bread rise for 45 minutes or maybe a bit more, and I baked mine at 350 for about 40 or 45 minutes. One thing to note is that you don’t want to let your warm mixture get too hot. Otherwise, you will have to add a bunch of ice cubes like I did.

Comments

  1. I let it rise the first time for about 65 minutes, and then about 45 minutes the second time and then set the oven. This really is done at about 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I have been letting it rise for 60 minutes, and then at 30 minutes on the second rise I set the oven, which takes 8 minutes to preheat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so all summer here is what I did: I put 1 cup of milk in with the shortening, honey, salt and molasses. I put it in the microwave for 99 seconds. Then, I put the yeast with the water and sugar in a separate cup. I put a bit of wheat flour on the bottom of the Bosch, then when the hot shortening mixture was melted, I added a generous 4 cups of milk to it. Then, I added white flour until it was ready. I let it rise for 65 minutes on the first rise, then 38 minutes total on the second rise (I would preheat the oven to 350 at the 30 minute mark). Then, they baked for 30 minutes and they were great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I got a new oven, but I still bake bread in my old one. When I come to take the bread out, even though it says it is 350, the oven thermometer says it is 425, so I've been cooking mine a lot hotter than 350.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the new oven, I preheat it to 425, put the loaves in, change the temp to 405, and bake for 30 minutes. This is as close as I have found to the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would go to 410 or 415 for 30 minutes, and increase the shortening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The yeast matters. I did Saf and it worked better. I also did non bread flour and it was totally fine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough, version 4, aka version Mel

Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs