Creamy Lemon Pasta

This easy recipe took me about 7 minutes to make. I got it from NYTimes recipe section and I give it about a 7 because I think give it improvements to make it a 9.

First, cut down the lemon juice or make sure you have small lemons instead of big lemons. I had big lemons so the lemon juice was more than 1/2 cup and that's just too much. Maybe 4 Tablespoons is good?

Second, I zested with a microplane zester.

Third, I used angel hair because I didn't have egg noodles.

Fourth, you need a LOT of pepper.



Finally, I read some comments online and it looks like people add the following to bring it up a notch: half and half instead of cream, fresh baby arugula or spinach added, saute some garlic bits and add those for a zing, chopped and roasted broccoli, steamed asparagus, Reggiano cheese on top, caramelized onions, chili flakes, handful of chopped parsley or chives. Next time I make it, I'm gonna add garlic, chopped chives, less lemon juice, and maybe some fresh spinach.

I ate pasta in Rome and this dish reminds me a little bit of that taste. It's fresher because it's not sauce from a bottle, and you can add more spices to it as you wish. It definitely has that Italian flair that is unique to the Mediterranean.

INGREDIENTS

  • 12 ounces wide egg noodles
  •  Zest and juice of 2 lemons; zest cut in very thin strips 1 inch long
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  •  Kosher salt, to taste
  •  Lots of freshly ground black pepper

PREPARATION

  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles, and stir to separate. Cook for 8 minutes or until tender. Drain, then return to the cooking pot.
  2. Just before noodles are done, in a small saucepan combine the lemon zest, cream, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, or until cream comes to a boil.
  3. Pour cream mixture over drained noodles, and add the lemon juice. Stir to coat. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until all the liquid is absorbed, about 1 to 2 minutes. Season with additional pepper, if desired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma Goodsell's Whole Wheat Bread

Sourdough, version 4, aka version Mel

Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs