Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs



Oh, how I love me a pressure cooker that cuts down on dishes and produces the exact same results. This is good because it's pasta and meatballs. I would have to really be coerced to make it any other way again because this is just SO easy. My one complaint is that it was very rich in tomato flavor because it calls for twice as much sauce as when I make it the traditional way. I think I might increase the water and use less sauce next time.

Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs

  • 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey I just did my own meatballs already premade
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, finely minced)I just did my own meatballs already premade
  • Salt and pepper
  • 16 ounces uncooked spaghetti noodles (see note) I think our spaghetti is almost 18 oz
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil I used fresh
  • 40 ounces jarred spaghetti/marinara sauce (see note) I did 2 Trader Joe's vodka sauces that are 25 oz. each
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • Freshly grated Parmesan and fresh basil, for serving (both optional)




https://www.melskitchencafe.com/instant-pot-spaghetti/

So, essentially you put the meatballs on the bottom and half the water. Then, you break the noodles in half and go back and forth in opposite directions layering them in about 6 equal portions. Then. I added 2 cans of spaghetti sauce and carefully pour the remaining water around the edges (I put it in the jar first to get more flavor). I put the fresh basil on top and some salt. I put it on manual (highest pressure) for 3 minutes and then let it sit for 4 more minutes before depressurizing, but I think 3 minutes after it's finished is plenty. It was quite good. Yay for easy!!!!

Comments

  1. So, the 3 minutes and 3 minutes before depressurizing was fine. However, I added an extra jar of water from the Trader Joe's sauce instead of 2 sauces and it was so soupy I had to drain the noodles and then add another jar of sauce anyway. Sigh. I think I either need to cook the noodles with the meatballs in some water and then drain it and then add the sauce, or add more sauce in the form of tomato sauce, etc. using my old spaghetti and meatballs recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. pasta ratio 1 1/2 cups liquid, 1/2 tsp salt and bit of oil for every 4 oz. Take the time, cut it in half, and minus 2 minutes

    https://tidbits-marci.com/perfect-pressure-cooker-pasta/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I tried it with the water ratios and the meatballs on top and did 4 minutes with 1 rest and then depressurized and it was too well done. I would do 3 minutes, wait 20 seconds or so, and then depressurize if you don't want it overcooked. I used the new pressure cooker today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it might be best to follow her ratios and in the new pressure cooker do 4 minutes top before depressurizing

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, follow her recipe, do 3 minutes in new pressure cooker, depressurize immediatley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To avoid overcooking, take it immediately out of the pressure cooker and put it on a big platter. Also, I added 1 full onion on top of the meatballs, and then 1 Tbs. Italian, 1 tsp. onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and oregano, and I would always do this, plus probably more Italian. I also used fresh basil.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma Goodsell's Whole Wheat Bread

Sourdough, version 4, aka version Mel