Chicken Marsala




This is amazing. A bit time consuming, but worth it. I love chicken marsala, and that's what it tastes like.

Chicken Marsala

  • 2 cups marsala wine I think this could be increased a bit for more marsala flavor
  • 3/4 cup white wine
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 6 thin chicken breasts
  • 1/2 onion
  • 8-12 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1/2 tsp dried fresh thyme
  • 1 cup heavy cream

I watched a demonstration on how to make this by Chef Bill Briwa, and then I kind of had to wing it with the ingredient amounts because he didn't actually provide any. Next time, I would keep the heat way higher so it browns because my chicken toughened up unnecessarily because of the heat I chose. I need a sear it first before I turn it down, and breading might even help with that. Skin-on chicken would also help.

So, essentially, you heat a pan on high, add canola oil, wait until it is shimmery and almost at a smoke point and add your chicken that you have seasoned with salt and pepper. When it is brown, flip it, and when it reaches 165 degrees, it is done. Put it to the side and tent it with foil (also, chicken with skin on would obviously make better chicken marsala, but I never seem to have that around). Then, you boil any moisture off the pan (our pour off fat if you did chicken with skin). Then, you throw about 1/2 an onion, diced small, and your sliced mushrooms into the pan. You push these around the get the brown bits up, then deglaze with some white wine. Stir the mushrooms around, scraping the bottom of the pan. When this is boiled off, you add the garlic and the marsala, then boil until it almost dry. Then, add chicken stock, then reduce again. You can add some thyme at this point and a bay leaf, but I forgot both. When the chicken stock is reduced, add the cream. Bring it to a boil and it will thicken up. I added some more chicken broth because it was too thick. Put chicken back in sauce.

Comments

  1. Don't get lazy like me and not boil the chicken broth down. It takes quite a long time to boil these off, so plan accordingly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma Goodsell's Whole Wheat Bread

Sourdough, version 4, aka version Mel

Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs