Ukrainian Borscht

 


I really really liked this. You obviously have to like beets to enjoy this, so don't make it unless you love them like I do. I love me a dirt-tasting vegetable. 
I've heard Ukrainian borscht is better than Russian borscht, but I've never had the Russian version to compare. But I'm all in favor in anything Ukrainian over anything Russian these days, so it was an easy pick. This was a winner, and you MUST use fresh dill, because that does so much for the flavor. I served it with homemade sourdough bread. This gets an 8, and it came from ifoodreal.com. 

  • 12 cups beef or vegetable broth or stock low sodium I used 9 cups 
  • 5 cups green or red cabbage thinly sliced I used sauerkraut instead 
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 3 medium carrots chopped
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 large beets peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • 4 large potatoes peeled and cubed I left these out
  • 6 oz can tomato paste low sodium
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar I used white wine vinegar
  • Pinch of sugar or maple syrup I left this out
  • 3 large garlic cloves grated
  • Ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup dill or parsley finely chopped
  • Yogurt sour cream and rye bread, for serving


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seriously Fudgy Homemade Brownies

Sourdough, version 4, aka version Mel

THE BEST PRESSURE COOKER MAC AND CHEESE