Potato and Poblano Corn Chowder



OK, so this soup is really good. I give this an 8, and it is easily the best corn chowder I have had. It had heat, but it didn’t burn your mouth (it was the upper limits of what I can tolerate though, so next time I will probably remove the ribbing and the seeds). The fresh corn is a must here! We had to double the batch to feed our family. The recipe came from Fine Cooking Magazine.

Potato and Poblano Corn Chowder

By Ivy Manning August/September 2018 Issue
  • 1-1/2 oz. (3 Tbs.) unsalted butter I did a bit less than this
  • 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 poblano, seeded and coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup) I would take out all the seeds and ribbing
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1/3 cup) I doubled or tripled this
  • 1 medium rib celery, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup) I doubled this
  • 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme I used dry and decreased this by 50%
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper I used 2 tsp. regular salt in a double batch
  • 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbs. tomato paste
  • 2 cups lower-salt vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1-1/2 cups whole milk I doubled the recipe and did 2 cups of half and half and 1 cup of milk
  • 1 medium red potato (about 8 oz.), cut into 1/2-inch chunks I increased this
  • 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 3 cobs)
  • 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice I cut this in half
  • Cayenne, to taste I forgot this


https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/potato-poblano-corn-chowder

You sweat the vegetables, minus the potatoes and corn. Then, you add the seasonings and the flour, make a roux, and then add the chicken broth and tomato paste. Boil, add the corn and potatoes, and then when the potatoes are soft, add the milk and the lemon juice.

Comments

  1. So, use all butter in this. I used 4 Tbs. for a double batch. I added the potatoes after the chicken broth, and then after 10 minutes of boiling I added the corn. Then, about 10 minutes later, I added the dairy products and the lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, let the flour cook as you stir it around for at least 1 minute.

      Delete
  2. So, use ALL the butter it calls for or make up for it with oil. This needs half and half or cream.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough, version 4, aka version Mel

Seriously Fudgy Homemade Brownies

Grandma Goodsell's Whole Wheat Bread